Chook Scraps Nest
A cozy place to come for all your scrapbooking chat

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Topic Five - Do you have a cutting machine? Pros? Cons?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chook Scraps Nest Forum Index -> Natter in the nest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sue-Maree
Creative Chook

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Topic Five - Do you have a cutting machine? Pros? Cons? Reply with quote

I have finally downloaded the drivers for my Silhouette onto this computer (after several months Embarassed ) and have been cutting out a few things this afternoon.

Pros - plenty of scope for changing sizes
Much cheaper to purchase shapes (at between 75c and 99c generally) than other die cutting machines.

Cons - I still haven't completely figured out the settings and often need to double cut things.
-I don't find it cuts really fine things well - but that could be my blade, or my settings
- It doesn't really take that long to cut but, if you are like me and like to load the pages up to use as much paper as possible it does take a while, particularly when you are double cutting.
- It is noisier than the Big Shot so not something I can set and then sit and watch tv whilst it cuts.

Kathy also bought me a Big Shot for my birthday which I just love to bits.

Pros: It is so quick and easy - definitely an easier option then going on line, creating a page, hooking up the silhouette, lining up paper, cursing as paper doesn't stick and goes in crookedly for the second cut hence ruining the entire page (can you tell that happened this afternoon? LOL)
- The cuts are precise and even the more fiddly shapes come out beautifully every time
- It is quiet

Cons: It takes a while to build up a selection of dies which certainly aren't as cheap as the shapes on the silhouette
- the dies need physical space to store
- you can't vary the size of the images.

If I could only have one though I would definitely go with the Big Shot... for ease and convenience.

Our children are a living message we send to a time we will not see.
Grannie Sam
Absolute No1 Clucker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Epic 6 but would love to upgrade to a Big Shot sometime. I have a growing supply of dies and embossing folders which I need to use more... Embarassed There are times I think punches would be easier for some of the things I have but punches take up so much more room, but are more convenient for taking with you to crops, etc.

Pros - can use different brands and wide range of dies and emb folders available on the market.
Cons - bulky to transport.
- if it doesn't have it's own place on your desk, etc, need to make room or take it elsewhere to use.

I also have a MM slice although MM are no longer in business. I had trouble with one of the SD cards and when I got onto the right person through fb they sent me a new one. You can change the sizes of images from 1" to 4", mirror image some and do shadow cuts as well. Again I don't use it enough.... Confused

Pros - can do different sizes, mirror image.
- each card has a good number of shapes,etc.
- runs on battery (if it's been plugged in and charged for a while beforehand).

Cons - needs replacement blades and not sure where I'll get them.
- mm gone out of business.

God doesn't necessarily create difficult situations for us, but He will use them to develop our character.
Sue-Maree
Creative Chook

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.. thanks Steph, Being new to the world of cutting machines I hadn't heard of either of those before Embarassed

Grannie Sam
Absolute No1 Clucker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marion had an Epic 6 but I think she may have upgraded although I'm not 100% about that. It's similar to the Cuttlebug.

The Slice is handheld rather than connected to a computer. You can see a video here although I don't have the handsfree mat.

God doesn't necessarily create difficult situations for us, but He will use them to develop our character.
anna
Creative Chook

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've got a cuttlebug, which i love, particularly for texture plates. i only have a small collection of dies (some which match stamp sets). it fits nicely on the bookshelf under my desk, and i use it on my desk stool (so i don't have to find somewhere to put it - i just can't sit down while it's out, which is never for very long anyway). i also have an original silhouette, which i haven't used much recently, but i love the scaling and the selection of cheap shapes. i haven't really considered the pros and cons, because i feel like each has it's own use, and they don't really overlap for my purposes.
jan
Absolute No1 Clucker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Anna, I have an original Silhouette, which I probably haven't used for a couple of years. It needs a new blade. I love it, but very noisy to use. Program not loaded on my current computer.... Rolling Eyes

I bought myself a Big Shot for Christmas, which I haven't yet used, but know I am going to love it! Very Happy
Sue-Maree
Creative Chook

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you Jan... I am sure you will have great fun with it. I do like how easy it is to use up your scraps with the Big Shot.

Grubs_mum
Champion Clucker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a big shot and love it...probably because I seem to be hooked on Tim Holtz. I guess I use my dies more for card making as many of them are Christmas themed.
Pros - it is easy to use, you can cut and emboss.

Cons - storage of both machine and dies. Currently my scrapping desk
is one of the kids old desks and has a book shelf attached so
my dies, embossing folders sit on the top shelf so I have
easy access to them, my big shot has a spot in the my
storage unit by at the moment seems to be living on the
floor next to my desk.
I guess also I get a little annoyed when Tim Holtz releases new
dies and they take forever to arrive in Australia.

I also have a cricket machine and I honestly can't remember the last time I used it.
Guest DT

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have arrange of cutting devices.
Epic. Good points - portable, works well with a few dies.
Bad points - it is not wide enough for my sissix dies. Parts are not easily found.

Big Shot - portable, quiet,,cuts a variety of materials. Accommodates different dies. Bad- cost of dies, weight,

Original Silhouette- still working, not been used recently as I prefer my new Cameo. When the dollar was good, I decided to buy this while the price was good, and I had the money.
It cuts beautifully as it has an upgraded blade system and can be adjusted. It can cut 12x12 sheets of card stock. I haven't tried fabric yet, but I have a blade reserved for that purpose. It also is far quieter than the original silhouette. The new software is very easy to use.
When I look back at how much I knew when I first got my silhouette, and the troubles I had with it, I know that I know a lot about digital cutters. I think the company have ironed out a lot of glitches too. I love my Cameo.
Scrapdragon
Ultimate Clucker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Klic n Kut...
I've actually had it for quite a few years and don't think I've ever really used it. The program isnt even loaded on any of the computers and I'm not even sure if its compatible with the mac... Confused
I need to decide if I really need to keep it, and if I do I should actually use it Wink
Kathy
Absolute No1 Clucker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only cutting machine I have is the Big Shot. I love it to bits. I have a set of book shelves just behind my scrapping chair, where I've been able to house and use the machine and its dies.

The cost of the dies is the only real drawback for me. But it gets used very well, which is the main thing, so it is money well spent.

The pros and cons have been mentioned, and which I support, so probably don't need listing again.

Life: It is about the gift not the package it comes in. ~Dennis P. Costea, Jr.
chookie
Chief Clucker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the dshosting I have an original sizzix machine that we don't use very often and a cuttlebug which we don't use much either as Tiarnie always leaves her big shot there and we use that. I also have an original silhouette which I use quite a lot for cutting letters, words and shapes for workshops and customers. I'm seriously considering getting a cameo for the business.

Chookie's Chit Chat
Cards 1 Calendar Pages 1 Scrapbook pages 1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
lil rach
Mother Hen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a big shot this year and only have 1 die and 1 embossing folder so far due to cost. I have been using the embossing folder for George's invites and have used the mini milk carton die a few times but would love to have more to get more use out of it but that will be a gradual thing.

I have checked out the cameo online and wanted one. Then I saw the Brother scan and cut machine on the Spotlight fb page and I think I want that! Haha! I like that you can scan your own drawing and it will cut it so there's no need to buy anything additional if you don't want to. One can dream...
http://brother.com.au/products/scanncut
Absolute No1 Clucker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a cuttlebug and sizzix and I must say the kids use the cuttlebug more than I but I do leave it on the table incase inspiration hits

2016 LOs - 14 2016 Cards - 21 Life Book - 4 OTP - 7 Pocket letters -2
http://scraphappynt.blogspot.com/
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself." ~George Bernard Shaw
Kathy
Absolute No1 Clucker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Sizzix, along with my templates, is one of my most used tools. I have needed to set it up on the half-height bookshelf behind me as I sit at my Scrapbox, but there would rarely be a page or card where I don't jump up and use it. I know it is an expensive purchase, but I buy so few embellishments these days...... just use my tools. It helps me be more creative, I think.

It's interesting to read Rach's comment as I don't think she fell in love with her Sizzix as I have.... but it's great to know she now has her computerized machine and seems to be loving it, though I can't recall which one she got. We are all so different and that's just as well. Smile

Life: It is about the gift not the package it comes in. ~Dennis P. Costea, Jr.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chook Scraps Nest Forum Index -> Natter in the nest All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: