Chook Scraps Nest
A cozy place to come for all your scrapbooking chat

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Painting direct to rubber stamps with Twinkling H2Oís

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chook Scraps Nest Forum Index -> Stamping Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wirg
Baby Chick

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Painting direct to rubber stamps with Twinkling H2Oís Reply with quote

Painting direct to rubber
stamps with Twinkling H2Oís

Copyright Information-All contents (including text, photographs, and design work) is © Virginia Hampson

Gather your gear together, youíll need your H2Oís, an aquash brush, fine spray mister of water, scrap paper, the stamp you want to use and an old cloth for cleaning your brush, white water colour artists paper & some white gloss card stock. Give one or two spritzs to the top of your open h2oís and wait a couple of minutes before using them.

Next, choose for example like I have here, the brown and paint it on the stampís trunk, branches etc here and there, you do not have to be neat. It will go into the crevasses of your stamp. Keep adding the colours you want till the whole image is covered.

This is what your stamp will look like once youíve covered it in all the colours you want to use. Bit messy but you will be surprised at the results.

Next give one quick spritz of water over the whole stamp because of course, by the time you've added all the glorious colour it will have started to dry on the stamp.

Stamp it onto the matt water colour paper first.

If you stamp it onto gloss card first, you could end up with a mess like this, though itís still useable.

Here you can see the 5 stampings I got and the order in which I stamped them on paper, then gloss.

I did a simple daisy stamp to show you other colours. This daisy is particularly nice to use h20ís on. See how the colours have blended together? I used a very dark plum colour and a light lilac, really pretty.

Once dry, Iíve over stamped this gloss card tree one with the same stamp & black stazon. Does help if you use a stamp positioner to get it directly over the first stamping. My positioner is hiding from me at the moment, just like these H2Oís were earlier LOL.

Remember to clean your brush between applying colours so as not to muddy your pots of paint.

Do not do (as I found out the hard way) put the lids back onto your pots until theyíve dried. You could find that the lids will glue themselves on with the dried paint and with the strength of superglue!

If this happens, take heart, Iíve discovered if you put the pot into a small container of warm water enough so it just covers the lid, wait about 5 minutes or till you can see the paint leaching into the container of water. Your lid should come of easily then. Give it and the grooves of the jar a good clean, let them dry then put the lid back on.

Picture me, this insane woman trying to get the lid off thatís jammed tight. They are quite small pots, but so are my hands. Could I get the lids off some of them? Nooooo, even hubby couldnít get them unstuck. Hence a cry for help last year to some stamping friends and this solution, which worked, whew!!

To clean your stamps when youíre done, give them a good scrub with eg Stampin Upís stamp scrubber, then dry with an old face washer/nappy. If youíve still got paint in the stamp grooves, a very soft wet tooth brush and a little liquid soft soap or Stampin Up cleaner will get it off. Iíve forgotten to clean a stamp before now and giving it a spritz and leaving it a few minutes to loosen the paint works a treat.

If you donít have one of those stamp scrubber thingos, a great substitute is a paint edger replacement pad by Sherwoods(?), they are white, available from Bunnings in packs of two replacement pads and are dirt cheap. I used one for years till Stampin Up came to Australia.

Lorraine also has in the store gelly scrubbers which is the same or similar to the stamping up one and there are some in stock and also stazon cleaner is good for cleaning the stamps too.

Thank you Lorraine for letting me share this with everyone. This technique is similar to using your Tombow markers direct to the rubber (thanks for that reminder) but as you can see you don't get the shimmer that Twinkling H2O's give. I will make some cards up with those samples later this arvo/evening.

Enjoy, and please, if you have any questions, donít hesitate to ask.

hugs
Wirgie
http://wirgscreativeworld.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Wirg on Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Annie
Queen Clucker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing Wirg, your samples look great!

"Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once"

http://upinanniesroom.blogspot.com/
jan
Absolute No1 Clucker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks complicated Confused Although I didn't read it all. Rolling Eyes

Finish looks fantantic. Thanks for sharing. Very Happy
bookaruth
Champion Clucker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify Wirg - you're putting all of your chosen colours of H2O's onto the stamp, together, BEFORE stamping????

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving's not for you!

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones but they should wear pants!

Fate rarely calls on us at a moment of our choosing
sassyscrap
Teenage Chick

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, love this effect and I now have inspiration to use my H2O's again THANKS Very Happy
Suziegirl
Teenage Chick

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow !! Love the end effect...
Wirg
Baby Chick

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bookaruth wrote:
Just to clarify Wirg - you're putting all of your chosen colours of H2O's onto the stamp, together, BEFORE stamping????

Yup, that's right. That's why you need to give it a spritz before you stamp the first time, as some of the first layers of paint will have started to dry.

Try doing this with a simple solid say flower stamp to practice. You'll be surprized at the effects and no two stampings are ever identical. Hero Art's Wild flower stamps are great for doing this technique.

hugs
Wirg
http://wirgscreativeworld.blogspot.com/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chook Scraps Nest Forum Index -> Stamping Tutorials All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: